Tuesday 31 January 2012

Home training

With 2 and half weeks, or 4 training sessions and 2 trial sessions, to go before the Long Cycle comp, Alan and I are fair going for it in our training.
Tonight's training session was really interesting...

I was keen to go hard and beat my last session (a common goal). I attempted a strong, fast and controlled set with the 24s' (my comp KB weight), similar to how I attacked the Cardiff comp last year. The major focus for succeeding was the breathing cycle. Now, it did work well to begin with and I liked the familiar feeling of concentration from last years comp. But man, it just got heavy! Target was 7 Min's, but the breathing pattern just did not suit the weight at this point in my KB experience. I know it will one day, and that's the cool thing!
So I stopped and started, which in one sense was a failure of the targeted set, but what a great education to gain. I know to work at the breathing pattern I have been using so far and I know exactly what I will do in the comp to vamp it up.
Unfortunately, Alan was working at the same time as me and my stop-starts was influential I believe. He banged out good numbers, but not his best. Alan had a slightly different targeted set, and he still did a top job. I think every session we have had, Alan has enjoyed a new learning point, and its great to discuss these afterwards. Some are things I have experienced, some are new to me too, so we chat and figure stuff out - all the time growing in experience and for the passion of the sport.


Anyway, that was the first 20 Min's or so. From there we demolished our last training session and achieved PB's on everything else we did - Clean and Jerk drop sets, Black Cleans, Raised Dead Lifts, Raised Squats, Floor presses and additional ab work.


This sh*t is getting heavy now, and the forearms, grip and focus takes a beating, so we stopped training at the same time and coached each other instead - this is so valuable at this point in our training for the comp.
I remember last year that although extremely self motivated, I plateaued with reps and focus some weeks into training.
Give me a coach (anyone willing to spend 10mins watching me and encourage me too nip on!) and the numbers and drive soon peaked again.

It could be seen that the opening set was a failure. F**k that, the whole session was probably the best we had so far. We gained education on key things tonight - focus, breathing, coaching, grip, technique etc.
Rock on Friday when we take it to the next level before a trial session at the weekend.

Hey, check out Wolverson's new IKFF KB's!!



No comments: